I have a fairly large family on my mother’s side (I counted over 50 little cousins!), and there are several new babies each year. I do not get a chance to see them very often since most are in France, so I would like to ”participate” a little bit by giving some tips that young parents might find useful. I already covered a few topics regarding babies (earache, cradle cap, and diaper rash), and now let’s see another common one: colic.
Colic affects 20% of babies from a few weeks old to three to four months. Colic is not dangerous. Nobody really knows what causes it. It could be due to gas (causing overdistension of the stomach and intestines) or indigestion. Some babies that are not getting enough food, might try to compensate for a not-full feeling by swallowing air, and others are just naturally gulping their feedings.
Sometimes what a baby needs most are happy, rested parents (!). Unfortunately, colicky babies can easily unnerve the entire household, can’t they? Besides physically consoling a baby, there have been few safe options available to help calm this type of crying baby.
-Watch the nursing mother’s diet and try avoiding or limiting some of the following foods and see if it has a positive impact: dairies, wheat, eggs, peanuts, alcohol, coffee, spices, onion, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts (in other words, all vegetables from the cabbage family), green peppers, grapes and strawberries.
-Try applying warmth on the baby’s tummy and observe if the pain is lessened. You can also do light massages.
– A chamomile tea can also have some calming effect (remember to cover the cup or pot while the herbal tea is seeping so you do not lose any of the active principles)
Homeopathic solution: Cocyntal
For symptoms associated with colic, such as cramping, bloating, gas pain, and irritability.
Cocyntal is manufactured by Boiron and combines three homeopathic medicines:
Carbo vegetabilis 5C, Colocynthis 9C,Cuprum metallicum 5C
- It’s a natural and safe liquid colic solution for babies; it’s absorbed sublingually which is the best way to take homeopathic medicines.
- It has no known side effects or negative interactions with other medications.
- It will not mask medical emergencies.
- It is tasteless and odorless.
- Easy to use: Parents will find the pre-measured packaging convenient, quick and easy-to-use.
- The sterile single-dose units guard against contamination, unlike multiple use containers, and are portable.
- this liquid form is helpful when a baby is not cooperating.
- a box contains 15 unit-doses
And the great thing about it is that its only inactive ingredient is purified water. It does not contain lactose, sugar or artificial sweeteners, preservatives, alcohol, flavors or dyes. The other advantage I like is the fact that there is no need to know the baby’s weight, and there is no risk of over-dosage: it is great when you have to ask a baby-sitter to administer the medicine.
Children 1 month of age and older: Snap off one single-use dose. Twist to open. Squeeze entire content into mouth. Repeat as needed, every 15 minutes, for two more doses. For best results, administer before meals.
Contact your physician if the condition persists or is accompanied by repeated vomiting and weight loss, or if blood appears in the urine or stool.